TMNT-L Forums
September 18, 2018, 12:31:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which version of Michaelangelo/Michelangelo do you like?
Mirage/Image
Original Toon
Archie
Movies
Next Mutation
4Kids
IDW
Other
Nickelodeon
Michael Bay Produced TMNT Movies

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which version of Michaelangelo/Michelangelo do you like?  (Read 18758 times)
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Never pay full price for a late pizza

iveyangelo IveyAngelo IveyAngelo
« on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »

Hey everyone,

Leo brought up in a topic about having a discussion about Mikey so here it is Wink

Any how there's different versions of Michaelangelo/Michelangelo out there.   So let's talk about about the different versions and which ones holds you closes.  Why that one means so much to you, and what you think could be done better for the character over all.   How you feel the media treats him and so on (through out time, we may end up with a topic like this for each Turtle).  

Different versions

Mirage/Image:  This Michaelangelo is a calmed down version of Mike out there.  He's got his chucks, and still is able to tell a good joke.  Though he stands back a lot, with his creative mind running.  As shown in a few Mirage comics and through the Image series... Mike enjoys being creative with writing and art work.  He is also a cat lover, with his pet Klunk.  He's not really trying to prove himself for anything, he's just there for his family.

Original Toon:  He started off really as a goof ball, with his humor.  As he shows his humor through out the series though it gets to the point that others start to look down on him and he has to prove himself in episodes like "What is Michaelangelo Good For?"  Michaelangelo is best known in this series as the all out pizza lover and clown.  If he does anything to help, it's usually pointed out as if he never did anything helpful before... even though he's HELPED in many areas.  He's not really into writing or art work in this series though he does love comic books and cartoons.  He likes extreme sports like skate boarding & surfing.

Archie:  This series shows Mike as an artist and jester.   Though it does not high light Mike often, when it did there would be showing different sides of him, and what he goes through keeping his humor as the face everyone sees.  I kind of wish we could of had a few more solo issues on Mike to work with his character here.

Movies:  Mike is a little bit more serious in the first three movies though it's not shown too much cause he's still very light hearted.  Goofing around, though some serious moments come up.  His refusal to acknowledge Splinter not being with them and when he didn't want to return home, showing that he doesn't care for living in hiding.  Those were two strong points that showed Mike was not just a clown in this series.  We don't see much of an artistic or creative side of Mike in the movie.  Though we do see his strong love for pizza.

Next Mutation: He was there just to be fun and weird... his creative side not shown to well, besides for creative food taste... banana with mustard..????   He did have a cool pirate radio show in this series though.  And did have fun with stuff like throwing a rave to raise money for endangered animals.  I think we would of saw more character growth on him, if they were able to do more seasons.

4Kids:  This side of Mike has shown both the creative and the goofy side.  It's shown him get hurt by the way he's treated.. and be able to take it with a grain of salt.  He's the comic that we all know and love and he's still able to remain smart and helpful for his brothers when need be.  He's able to take a bad spot and not just lighten the mood, but help with the idea to make things better.  He enjoys attention, and will do the crazies stuff... you don't want to see this boy bored Wink     Though there has been issues where he's been treated like he's not serious enough, by all means this series has shown that Mike is a very useful member of the team just the way he is.

IDW: Michelangelo in the IDW Comics is very light hearted so far. He grew up human in one life and was reborn as a Turtle with his brothers.  Now he's being thrown into a war that he is scared of.  He values life and loves having people around him.  Outside of April and Casey, his human friend is Woody.  He likes to encourage fun with his brothers including getting them to play Twister.  When danger comes his brothers can rely on him to kick butt and protect them.

Nickelodeon: Michelangelo is the youngest of his brothers and has a very strong case of ADHD as he gets bored and distracted very easy.  Though he's still funny, fast, and creative.  He likes to play games, tease his brothers, and skateboard.  Though his memory span needs help as he forgets plans and needs things explained to him more than once.  He wants to have friends and really likes it when people are ok with them.  One of his favorite thing to do is name things.  He gets hurt by his brothers taunting of him, and gets upset about it easier than most versions of Michelangelo do.

Other:  Is your favorite area with Mike something like the Tour?  Or "We Wish You a Turtle Christmas"  or do you like some Fanfic or RP version of Mike out there... what about a web comic version?   If you choose other, please post and not just tell us about why you like Mike in that version... but tell us about the Mike of that version maybe even post a link!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:34:35 PM by Michaelangelo » Logged

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Never pay full price for a late pizza

iveyangelo IveyAngelo IveyAngelo
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »

Michaelangelo... smart... funny... creative... cute     ah four words that sums up my fav Turtle Wink

He's the Turtle that has all the energy in the world, and can't help but be hyper a lot.  Though as he's hyper, he's also a man of many talents.  Using his energies, he's gotten into drawing, writing, music, acting, and sports... on top of all of that Ninja Training he goes through.  Some how he finds the time of day to be able to help save the world.

Out of his brothers he's the most misunderstood Turtle.  Because he's so hyper, people don't think he's taking things serious.  They think he's just being annoying and should calm down.  They get angry cause he's acting up when things are going bad and feel he could make things worse.  Examples of this can be found in the original Toon, Tales of TMNT (vol. 2), and the episode "Touch and Go" from the 4Kids series.    Where Mike is told that he has to learn to think, he has to learn to help out... where he has to learn to put his emotions on the back burner.  Though anytime people tell him and get down on him is when things go wrong.   He wishes people could understand him, though at the same time he even questions why he's as hyper as he is... and wonders if he'll ever truly fit in.  He won't let it get him down for long though, he'll bounce right back up to his normal happy self in no time flat.  (A good example of this is "The unconvincing Turtle Titan")

My favorite media with Mike has been 4Kids recently.  They explore all angels of him.  From him being the class clown, to him being the one to get out and want to do something more with their lives, and him being able to pull through many times to help his brothers by just being himself.  Mike may get over hyper at times, but that's just who he is.  It's not that he's going out of his way to be like that, it's his nature.

Though I've been a Mikey fan all along, so I really do love every version out there.  Started with the original series, and just went on from there.  The movies just had me fall head over heals for him.   Wink

I'm going to be very open to admit that my lease favorite version of Mike is the Next Mutation.   Why?  Because I felt a lot of his artistic side was gone.  There was something about him that just felt like it was really missing in that series.

So feel free to explain how you view Mike and why you voted the way you did.

Danceingfae
TMNT-L Mod Squad
Shredder

danceingfae
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »

Which Mikey is my fav? That can be a bit difficult because there's aspects of him that i like from every series i've seen. Though to be honest i'm not as familiar with the comics or the Next Mutation as i am with the cartoons and movies. And of course the tour  Razz

In the original series, I loved the fact that Mike made me laugh. I was young and didn't really understand that they weren't showing too many sides of his character. He was just funny and that was enough for me.

When the movies came out, yeah he wasn't all goof like in the cartoons but he was more realistic. Not just in looks with the costumes but also in personality. He showed more then one, having his serious moments, sad moments along with his happy, funny moments.

In the new cartoon at times it reminds me of the original cartoon but also see a more serious side that the original cartoons didn't show either. I'm not sure if i would say it's as serious of a side that the movies showed since i am still trying to catch up on the cartoon. *Glares at TV for not getting regular tv channels*

So if i were to pick a fav.. at first i was gonna say 4kids, but really, it's the movie Mikey. He's the first one that made him seem more then just a character on tv.

And some times.... 
Mily
Stockman

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:48:21 AM »

My favourite version..., well, I think I'm gonna have to say 4Kids Mikey from the first remake of the series would be my fav, I was just getting back into liking the turtles when that series came out and I did realize that he was my fav though I'm pretty sure I liked him in the old series too, but I was pretty young and I vaguely recall liking Leo..., Lol,
But Mikey in the 1st remake was hilarous and a well-rounded character in my opinion, he always made me laugh and reminded my why he was my fav. I don't even like him as much in the FastForward Series..., which is a shame, he's still funny but just, kinda different from the other series.

Leonardo
Irma

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »

For me? Classic Mirage is my fave version.
But I have enjoyed Mikey in all the other forms, because, yes, he makes me laugh. And that's important.
 Very Happy/Big Grin

Other reasons I mentioned in the other thread and forgive me, I'm too tired to rewrite it here.
 Razz
tmntck1
Foot Soldier

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »

Michaelangelo is my favorite ninja turtle and I like all the Michaelangelos but I have to say the 4kids one is my favorite cause he's funnier,tougher,and,a lot cooler. Michaelangelo  Michaelangelo  Michaelangelo  Nunchuck  Thumbs Up
Jephael
Bishop

jeoughton
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:30:39 AM »

I went with the old toon incarnation because he was always the friend I wished I had growing up.

"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael - The Mean Machines
Terri
Foot Soldier

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:06:19 AM »

Although in the end I voted for movie Mikey, it's really a tie between that and the 4Kids Mikey.  Thinking back, the original cartoon Mikey sort of blended in with the others.  The opening theme seemed to point out their basic differences and Mikey was dubbed as the "party dude"...fine and well.  When the first movie came out, I was totally taken back.  All of the Turtle's characters just...came to life...each one becoming identifiable as individuals in their characteristics and personality traits.  I love how Mikey's character was developed.  Sure you saw the goof in him (and we all love the goof!), but we also saw a more sensitive, almost vulnerable side.  I could go on and on about this...but my basic point is made when it comes to movie Mike.

Now, the 4Kids Mikey I also love.  I love his energy, his spirit, his occassional serious/sensitive moments and most of all...his scream!  (lol)  In most episodes, Mikey is his fun-loving self...however it's great how he's given his moments to shine and show that he's not just a joker...he is a skilled fighter (I'll invite Wayne to recite the 'Mikey: Battle Nexus Champion" speech here, lol).  He has proven in many episodes that he can think his way out of a situation and hold his own in a battle.  Again, I could go on but we all already know how great this particular Mikey is.  

To sum things up, Mikey is an awesome guy!  Just one of those Turtles you wanna go up to and hug!   Love
Aignatius
Fugitoid

Token Dragon

Aignatius deCarraig
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »

When I first latched onto the TMNT with more interest than I usually had for popular culture, Mikey was my favorite. He's eclectic in nature, and can pull off silliness better than anybody. He can get away with wearing tights, making bizarre food and listening to sappy music that make others cringe.
I like the Mirage/Image Mike best, though the Archie Adventure version of Mikey was kewl, too.  Cool

A friend who is a Mikey fan recently said, "So... what you're saying is, Mikey's the best."

Mmmm... no... buuut... he's a good egg. A happy Buddha type. Very Happy/Big Grin  Wink

Buslady
Hun

Raph's Favorite Bass player! ^.^

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

I like Movie 1 Mikey cause he's not soooooo HYPER. He's cute in 2, but he's a little calmer in 1. In 3, he's fine as well...you DO get to see more of the hero in Mike in 3 too.

Mindy
TMNT-L Reviewer
Krang

Author

Google Talk
mindymousie mindymousie
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »

How did I get past this topic?! And I think it would be cool to have all four Turtles (maybe even Splinter, April, Casey, and various others) with topics like this, but we all know Mikey must be the first in line Wink

I chose Movie Mikey. Back in the 80s with the original 'toon, I didn't really bond with him very well, but the movies changed everything I knew about Mikey for me. He was sweet, charming, cute, crazy [but not too much!], and a very strong hero. TMNT movie III is my least favorite of the trilogy, but Mike was given so much more depth and that's why I don't totally knock the film at all. If only he could've be just as creative as his Mirage counterpart and had Klunk in the movies, I think Mikey would've been "perfect" [to me].

But, so that I respect each of his incarnations (and that I have oodles of time here at work.. Confused), I'll jot 'em all down here:

Mirage/Image: I've only read a few issues, but this Mike would probably tie with 4Kids for my second favorite incarnation. We get to see his creative side and he is calmed down. Plus, when tramautic events happen to him and his family, he got depressed and turned to other ways of streaming his anger, his remorse, his entire being. A very solid, dimensional character. I love the relationship between him and Klunk. I am very close to my pet dog so I understand exactly how he feels about his cat.

80s/90s toon: He was pretty zany and very outgoing, but you know you could have a good time with this Mike! With every "Mikey", if you were having a bad day, he could cheer you up - maybe take you skateboarding, read some comics, and eat some "gnarly" pizza. I'm sure when most of us think back to the '80s, Mikey is the first one who pops into our heads. He so started the whole pizza craze in the early 90s LOL

Archie: Can't say I know too much about this Mike since I never read the comics, sorry :/ He had a girlfriend, though, didn't he? A rather serious one? It sounds like he was more mature in this one.

Next Mutation: He was cute and silly but had a soft heart. Mikey with a pirate radio show was a great idea, too. Happy/Smile I agree that if the series had progressed, he probably would've reached the character development of his Movie/4kids counterparts.

4Kids: He was still cute, charming, goofy, and extremely agile with his training. I love his girly screams and that he got to have Klunk! There's something about this version of Mikey that almost seems like... he has a deep sadness or a part of his soul that yearns for a lot more than he has. It's pretty apparent with Raphael, but Mikey has always been the one to push his feelings aside to help his family and friends. While Raphael channels his feelings of isolation through anger, Mikey chooses an opposite direction: humor. I've always found that the ones who are always smiling on the surface hide a very heavy heart.

Michaelangelo

AristaNiara
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »

I personally liked the 4kids Mikey only because in this one, although he doesn't always seem...focused (I know I'm not using the right word at the moment but that's the word that's coming to me), he tends to be the one who can hit the nail on the head on things as well as have more insite on things than even Don or Leo which does impress me quite a bit however, being this way, he's VERY under utilized in the team, especially since no one tends to take his observations seriously...They do at times but it's rare but they always work.
TurtleTitanMusician
Stocktronics

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »

It's so hard to choose for Mikey!  He's always been the care-free, party loving Turtle of the bunch.

MOVIES:  On 1, he crashed some cymbals while on 3, he did the hula sportin super sized trunks.  Then he does Homer Simpson (D'oh!)

COMING OUT OF OUR SHELLS:  Really knew how to rock on the electric guitar as well as his singing.

NEXT MUTATION; Driving the jeep while doing his pirate radio show.

4KIDS; His love of comic books as well as his own super hero self, Turtle Titan!

MY FANFICS; Mikey's the same dude who never grows up.  He plays the drums because he was born to play rhythm.  Mikey rocks with sticks while playing jazz with brushes.  Mikey's a super drum roller whether it's the snare or tympani!  Mikey likes playing tympani because it makes him feel so powerful!

EX-CEL BAND

Ex-Cel Dude; Guitar. vibes, tympani, lead vocals
Mikey; Drums, tympani, vocals
Scott Charles; Guitar. vocals
Silver Sentry; Bass guitar
Nobody; Organ
Mallory Banks; Tenor Sax
Donatello
TMNT-L Mod Squad
Rocksteady

Sharon D Lee
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »

I liked the movie and Mirage vesrions, just because there was so much more depth and characyer development to him there.  I latched onto him instantly after seeing the first movie.  Both him and Don.   Love

Have you hugged a robot today? Love
Ninjara
Ultimate Ninja

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »

I ended up opting for Mirage/Image, but the 4Kids version was only edged out marginally.....and as far as Mirage/Image goes, I had some issues with the Image books because of the inking mainly....early issues were too confusing to the eye for my taste....but all that aside.....I'm focused on Mirage's Mike because I believe that the most accurate version of the Turtles comes from the original source. The guys who 'live' with them 24/7 for the most part.

What can be gleaned from the first ten years of these comics will immerse you into the Turtles world 100% if you're in a quiet, uninterrupted space. You learn things that are not spoken.  One thing that seems to come across to me, and yes, is open to conjecture, is Mikey's dominant hand is his left one.  He is ambi-dexterous, like the rest of his brothers, but from what I've seen, if he writes, or reaches for something, he uses his left.

I love Mike for his sense of humor, optimism and how he lightens up the group......even when his brothers, or his sensei, aren't in the mood for it.  He's creative, he's a gentle, loving soul, but he can be tough when the situation calls for it.  He has his dark moods too, but they are far and few between, and don't seem to last long.  I know there was some outcry over his behavior in Tales # 9, The Path.  I didn't find that too off the mark, considering the, if you will, the maternal instinct that dwells within Mike.  It was a deep, primitive reaction.  Step between an endangered, or injured offspring and it's parent, and this is the reaction you will most likely get, regardless of the species. Temperance sort of goes out the window momentarily.

I have high hopes for Mike in this 2007 movie.  For the most part, I don't think we'll be disappointed. Love [/i]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.

BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled