TMNT-L Forums
June 18, 2018, 09:16:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which Splinter do you feel has the best personality or strongest presence?
Live Action Movie Splinter
Classic toon 1987 Splinter
New Movie CGI Splinter
New Toon 2k3 Splinter
Mirage/Image Comics
IDW comics
Nickelodeon Toon

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The best Splinter?  (Read 13037 times)
Sage Ninja
Foot Tech Ninja

« on: November 15, 2007, 06:04:36 PM »

Which version of Splinter do you like the best I'm not talking origin stories but in terms of personality and presence he had in the show?

In the old live action movies he seemed like a frail grandfatherly type who had a sweet disposition was wise and cryptic way about him. He was stern but also caring and you can see he adored his sons and they adored him. This version of him is probably the most cute and endearing since he could be childishly silly. I like live action Splinter's personality because he was very gentle and sweet. But I don't think he had a very strong presence because he came off as so weak and ancient.

Old toon Splinter personality was pretty good. He gave off that dignified japanese aura and he was an all around nice guy. he cared for his sons and gave them advice but didn't let them slack off. He gave off a completely understanding up standing Father of the year persence but some how I find him a bit more detached than the other Splinter's with his sons. He was almost too perfect and understanding, and there for boring. And he didn't have much of a sence of humour. Also his health was not consistant, sometimes he was weak and frail and needed rescue and other times he was powerful and capable.

New CGI movie Splinter was probably the boldest version of Splinter that i've seen. Almost all versions try to portray Splinter as this saintly father figure who is always understanding. But this one was portrayed as being a bit colder and more flawed than the others, and sometimes unreasonable and harsh on occassion. The whole "Ninja Master of the turtles" aspect of his character was played upon more than his warmer fatherly side. He obviously had a sterner way of handling the turtles and had higher and stricter expectations of them and less tolerance for disobediance. CGI Splinter still had his fatherly moments but this one stands out as being the most openly flawed of the bunch and possiably more human because of them. He had a the strongest presence of the Splinters.

2k3 Splinter is probably my favorite Splinter of the bunch. Of all the Splinter's he has displayed the most humourous personality. Which I like he is a charming blend of wit and refined dignity. He pulls off the role of sage sensei with lots of other wordly knowledge and spritulism but also as a very down to earth guy with a dry sence of humour. He is not above taking pot shots at his students and he is a hard shell who tries to keep his sons on the straight and narrow but he doesn't mind letting them be their own person and finding their own way. He is a god blend of live action movie splinter with his wise spirtual ways and cute nature and New Movie Splinter with his stern no nonsence "I'm a powerful ninja master" ways about him. But at the same time being his own person and having his own distinguishing attributes. I think this Splinter does the best job at balancing his role as sensie and father very well and doesn't let the two over lap or dominate the other. I also think this version displays the most tenderness and love for his sons than any other Splinter. He may like to make fun of his sons but it's very obvious that he loves them all deeply and he has the most satisfying reactions when one of them is hurt or in pain. Plus he is probably the most viril and powerful of all the Splinter's. Despite his age he still seems like a bad-shell and can take on enemeies as well and even better than his sons. He doesn't display much of the ancient fraility that the others have I get theimpression that he is the youngest of all the Splinter's. I get a the impression that he is in his 50's unlike other Splinter; who seem to be like in thier seventies.

Kismet
Foot Soldier

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »

I actually really like Archie and Mirage Splinter, but none of the comic verses were an option. As far as television goes, that's a tough one.

"What to believe in, exactly, may never turn out to be half as important as the daring act of belief." - Kingsolver

Terrapin Tales!
LenniluvsBrian
Bishop

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »

The 2k3 Splinter, provided that's the cartoon before FF. Lol. If so, that Splinter makes me laugh & love him more than before!

~Lenni~

"This is NO time for jokes Michelangelo!" -Splinter
"No! Really Sensei! I've got an idea!" - Mikey

"Watch your back, Brainiac!" - Raph
"Isn't that what you're here for, Raph?" - Donnie
Angelo
Rocksteady

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:37:43 AM »

The new CGI Splinter.

1. Leonardo's always in control Leonardo
2. The wise guy is Michelangelo Michaelangelo
3. Donatello he's the brain of the bunch Donatello
4. Count on Raphael to throw the first punch Raphael
cynlee
Teacher
Memorial
Bebop

Smart Funny & full of wit. We will always Remember

Cynthia Fluharty
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »

I chose number four, but I also think that Splinter in the 2007 movie was the best movie one.  Mako was an excellent choice, and it's said that any sequel will be without him.

Darren Dunstan has the best voice for the toons, and just the right amount of *it* for the character.  The writers of Fast Forward tried at times to ruin Splinter, but even in those scenes, Dunstan stands out.

Splinter kicking butt is something I enjoy.  I also like that he still proves he is the Master, whether it's up against an enemy or dealing with a wayward son.  I was watching "Battle Nexus" with my class the other day, and the scene where Mike is paired up with Splinter in the second round spoke volumes.  Mike knew that Splinter could kick his shell, but Splinter decided to let his son have a chance in the contest.  "If my sons can win, I do not wish to stand in their way",  he said to the Daimyo after he forfeited to Mike.

"One of the few redeeming facets of instructors, I thought, is that occasionally they can be fooled."

Skeeve, “Another Fine Myth”

Gojira
Rank Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »

The original movie Splinter is my favorite, he's a good balance of characteristics.
I love his sense of humor too, the ending always makes me laugh.
Leonardo
Irma

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:45:05 AM »

I liked the old movies Splinter, because the scenes with him had some powerful things in there. And yes, a gentle father figure, but certainly nothing to kick anyone's butt physically. (Which may have been partly due to the at the time impressive animatronic work, but would have limited having Splinter leaping about.)

The new movie Splinter is possibly more 'realistic' in some things--being a little more harsh is probably what would be needed for the way Splinter would have raised his sons as ninja to survive in their world. But he clearly still had a sense of humor and gentle side.
Possibly the closest to the Mirage comics Splinter in some ways? Have to think on that more....

The 4Kids Splinter is in between the movie Splinters as I see it.

I enjoy all of those Splinters, because it's like the other TMNT characters. Based off the same stock but finished off in different aspects of the characters. As long as the treatment of Splinter's character fits in relation to the others, then it works for me.
BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »

I chose 2K3 Splinter. I think of him as a father figure who cares deeply for his sons and isn't afraid to show it. The old toon Splinter sort of lacked this. In that incarnation he only called them, "My Turtles." However, I love that he calls them his sons in the new toon. He has a sense of humor at times and is very funny when he wants to be. He's also willing to stand up for his sons and isn't frail by any means. He can kick butt with the rest of them. I agree with Cynlee that when he forfeited to Mikey, he really showed his fatherly side. He didn't want to stand in the way of his sons if they could win the tournament. He also doesn't take crap from his sons as evidenced when Leonardo cut him with his katana, but he shows that he feels concern for them, which is a good thing. All in all, 2K3 Splinter is the best incarnation.

"A warrior who never fails, never learns." --The Ancient One.
Sage Ninja
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »

Quote from: "BubblyShell22"
I chose 2K3 Splinter. I think of him as a father figure who cares deeply for his sons and isn't afraid to show it. The old toon Splinter sort of lacked this. In that incarnation he only called them, "My Turtles." However, I love that he calls them his sons in the new toon. He has a sense of humor at times and is very funny when he wants to be. He's also willing to stand up for his sons and isn't frail by any means. He can kick butt with the rest of them. I agree with Cynlee that when he forfeited to Mikey, he really showed his fatherly side. He didn't want to stand in the way of his sons if they could win the tournament. He also doesn't take crap from his sons as evidenced when Leonardo cut him with his katana, but he shows that he feels concern for them, which is a good thing. All in all, 2K3 Splinter is the best incarnation.

OT Splinter was nice enough and caring and supportive enough but I just didn't feel the same passion in him for his family as other Splinter's have. I also get the impression in the show that OT Splinter purposely tried to keep things distanced a bit from the turtles. Like he didn't want the turtles to get to attached to him or something. Also I don't think he holds up to NT Splinter in personality since OT Splinter had like no sence of humour at all.

What I like about NT Splinter is that he doesn't play favorites among the turtles or put one turtle above the others. I mean sure he has a close relationship with Leo in 2k3 but I never felt that he gave him more attention than the other turtles. Leo strives to be a good ninja and leader because he wants too. Not because he has been appointed or pressured by Splinter to do so. He seems to love all four of his sons equally and even seems to go out of his way to try to connect with each of them personaly. When ever there is a pair-up episode where Splinter has an alone adventure with one them he doesn't seem akward with any of them like he finds himself alienated to be alone in of his sons presence because he can't connect with them. I also like how he can be strict enough to be their father and sensei but relaxed enough where he can pall around with them as well.

BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:32 PM »

I agree with your take on NT Splinter. Yes, he doesn't favor Leo over the others, but I feel that Leo does feel pressured to please Splinter, though Splinter never puts this pressure on him. He wants to please his dad which is why he works hard. But I agree that Splinter loves all of his sons and shows it in the NT. I almost cried when he saw Don mutated and looked so hearbroken because of it. That was powerful to me. And when he encouraged Leo to face his fears. That was awesome.

Sage Ninja
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 01:30:59 AM »

Quote from: "Angelo"
The new CGI Splinter.

You see I actually like Splinter in the New CGI movie because he reminded me of an actual old japanese person rather than some one acting like a japanese dude. He just gave off a more authentic feel to him. Now I'm not trying to stero-type a race but from what I've seen of japanese films the elders in a household or teachers where ushauly rather cold and demanding of those under them. Which I thought Splinter was in that old school japanses sort of way of over looking individuals in favor of the whole team aspect. And this Splinter seemed wicked japanese old school, as you can see he puts the responciabilty of the family on Leo's shoulders and holds him responciable for their actions. Splinter seemed to have this old thought process that the indivdual of the family didn't matter so much as the "whole" of the family did. This Splinter came off as the most "Tradinally Japanese" version of him with all the ideals and values of ninja hierarchy and up bringing. All the other Splinters all though very nice all seem to be more Americanised in my opinion. Especially New toon Splinter. Splinter is supposed to be a rat that was exposed and brought up in a very traditinal nintisu customs, but they all seem to be rather relaxed and laid back in American sort of way letting his sons have more reign with out that tight strict sort of way "obey me" attitude. CGI movie Splinter had that so I feel that made him seem more realistic since he had a tighter grip on what the turtles where allowed to do.

I actually really like Archie and Mirage Splinter, but none of the comic verses were an option.

I don't really have much knowledge of mirage Splinter the only impression I really get of Splinter in the Mirage comics as that he is more pragmatic and ruthless than all the other Splinter's since he admits to training the turtles for the purpose of killing The Shredder, where as the other Splinter's only trained the turtles to keep the tradtion that Yoshi was so passinate about alive, with no vengence tainting his motives. Which I don't find to admirable. He also seems to be portrayed as a bit frail compared to classic toon Splinter and 2k3 Splinter. But I don't know what he was like as a father figure to the turtles or if he was genuanly warm and affectionate like Splinter is in the 2k3 series.

and I mentioned this on the drome but has any one lese noticed that it is only in the cartoons where Splinter is shownb to use corporal punishment.  In the classic toon Splinter has been shown to through the turtles around and attack them when they step out of line. And so has NT Splinter . In the live action movies Splinter just made them do back flips when they misbehaved.

Amicitia
Krang

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

Quote from: "Sage Ninja"
I get a the impression that he is in his 50's unlike other Splinter; who seem to be like in thier seventies.

But that's the weird thing. In actual chronological age, Splinter can't be more than a year or two older than the turtles. So if they're 16 in 2k3, he's really only 18! It makes me wonder how the mutagen affects the aging process. Did Splinter turn into a middle-aged mutant, because he was a middle-aged rat? Is his total lifespan now halfway between rat and human?

These questions need answers...
BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:28:16 AM »

I always thought Splinter was an adult rat before he got mutated. So, he's definitely older than the Turtles. As for the grey fur, you try living with four sons who constantly have you on your toes! That would turn even my hair gray!

Amicitia
Krang

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »

Quote from: "BubblyShell22"
I always thought Splinter was an adult rat before he got mutated. So, he's definitely older than the Turtles.

That's what I was trying to say - but because rats don't live very long, in real years he isn't *much* older than the Turtles. He just seems that way because of different lifespans and aging processes.... Is this making any sense?
Kazari
TMNT-L Reviewer
Krang

kazari
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:29:47 PM »

I definitely think the 2003 Splinter is the best Happy/Smile He makes me laugh LOL

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.

BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled