TMNT-L Forums
May 24, 2018, 04:02:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which version of Michaelangelo/Michelangelo do you like?
Mirage/Image
Original Toon
Archie
Movies
Next Mutation
4Kids
IDW
Other
Nickelodeon
Michael Bay Produced TMNT Movies

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which version of Michaelangelo/Michelangelo do you like?  (Read 17377 times)
Phoenix
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Vernon

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »

Hmm... I'm probably sticking with the 4Kids for now. I need to do some catch up on IDW. Wink

Phoenix was meant to represent the fire and passion that creates life. I choose to bear the name -- and do so proudly -- in order to set things right.

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Never pay full price for a late pizza

iveyangelo IveyAngelo IveyAngelo
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 02:38:33 PM »

Yes you do need to catch up with IDW!  It's awesome!!

Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »

I chose "other" in the poll because I really can't pick a favorite Mikey. They bill Mikey as the 'party dude' and 'the wild one' and such but, to me, Mikey's the 'sweet one' and the 'eternal kid'; that's not to say that he isn't capable of being serious, rather he has his own set of rules that defines when it's best to truly be serious about something. To me he's the one most likely to give people a 2nd chance and, despite any crap his brothers give him, we've seen Leo, Don, and Raph get extremely pizza'ed when somebody harms Mikey.

So many others in this Thread, though, did so well describing the different Mikeys ... Mikes ...  Shocked Yarghh, what would the plural be here!?  Confused Anyway, they've said how different each one is - when they have differences - but as long as he's still the sweet Turtle who'd rather make friends than enemies, and wants to have a fun time being with others rather than knocking heads, I'd say any Mikey will do.

As a matter of fact, to add a non-comic/cartoon/movie Mikey in here, I've become quite fond of the RPG version of Mikey over on the (now dead) TMNTRPG (dot) com website, where he's the fun-loving prankster as an 18 year old. This version, for me, seems to love making comparisons between people and his brothers - he's compared his newest friend with Donatello, since they both love to invent things and make diagrams that Mike admits he doesn't entirely understand. But he shows enthusiasm for the fact that he can tell they each love to do it, and he understands that part of the creative process. It's also a wonderful way in which to see how much Mikey knows his brothers, in seeing him react to other characters who share similar personality traits.

Then again, I may be biased here since I have the honor and privilege of RPing Master Splinter over there.  Wink

[Note: Edited to take out dead links. 02/09/15 ]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:01:27 PM by Kamehane » Logged

I'm a Raphael girl at heart, but Mikey has taught me more about myself than all his brothers combined; I feel blessed to meet others who've been just as touched by these brothers as I have. Embarassed  (And speaking of enjoying them, feel free to join me on TMNT - The Beginning ( http://tmntthebeginning.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showforum=3 )! I'm privileged to be Splinter, April AND now (temporary) Raphael over there!)
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »

Awesome break down on why you chose other!

I agree there's so much more to Michelangelo.  Happy/Smile

Can also understand the RPG thing... have been part of some good ones

Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »

Wow ... would love to RP with you! (Bet you RPed Mikey, didn't you ...  Love )

In fact, I think it's been the Role-Playing that's helped me to have a new way of looking at each of the Turtles; I can sit here and spout off stuff about how Mikey's like the cute baby brother everybody probably wishes they had - or the best friend that you could hang out with - but having to look at him through Splinter's eyes becomes something so much different!

To me, Mikey seems to have a better grasp on that love of life Splinter saw irreparably damaged in his own heart the day Master Yoshi was murdered ... or, in the IDW version, Splinter's identified it more as Tang Shen's love of life. Either way, Splinter sees Michelangelo as a very special part of his life that he doesn't want to lose.

Even if that means the threat of a water balloon once in a while.  LOL

I'm a Raphael girl at heart, but Mikey has taught me more about myself than all his brothers combined; I feel blessed to meet others who've been just as touched by these brothers as I have. Embarassed  (And speaking of enjoying them, feel free to join me on TMNT - The Beginning ( http://tmntthebeginning.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showforum=3 )! I'm privileged to be Splinter, April AND now (temporary) Raphael over there!)
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »

Hehehe yeah, they really put a good view in for Splinter of Michelangelo in today's issue of IDW TMNT.  It's one of my favorite parts of the comic.  Splinter describes Michelangelo to Raphael.

With RPing, I've RPed as each of the Turtles through different games.  Though I haven't had the chance to really get into any new RPs recently because of traveling and running Cowabunga Corner.  Michaelangelo is the Turtle I like to play the most, followed by Donatello.  I've handled Leonardo and Raphael when others didn't want them.  There's even been games where I've done all four of them, that's rare.. but I grew up with a lot of pretend games handling a ton of characters.  I also enjoy playing as Shredder.  Bad guys are fun. 

BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »

I would say 4Kids Mikey, but after he won the Battle Nexus, he just became too annoying to me. I also hated how he'd learn a lesson and then in another episode it was like he forgot said lesson and kept on being selfish and self-absorbed. So, before the BN arc, I liked Mikey. Afterwards, not so much. I do like Nick Mikey so far. He's cute and while he may be naive at times and have a short attention span, he's definitely not dumb by any means. I just like his personality in the Nick toon, but I guess that goes for all of the Turtles really.

"A warrior who never fails, never learns." --The Ancient One.
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »

I can't agree that there wasn't Character growth, because for the first five seasons there was.  Yes Mikey was still his goofy self but he did learn.  A great example is in "The Ancient One" where Leonardo is so angry, with Don and Raph complaining about it.  Michelangelo stands up for Leonardo.  Really where we lost the growth was in "Fast Forward" and during that time we lost ALL of the growth in the different Turtles.

I could never see Mikey in that show as the way you described him though. He is not selfish or self-absorbed.  He's playful and ADHD, he doesn't like thinking about the serious stuff going on in their lives because it's just too much and to bad.  He's known for being one of the most caring brothers.  Yes, he loves his world of comics and humor, but he will lay his life down for his brothers.  Which is reasons why episodes like "Touch and Go" and "Graduation Day: Class of 2105" really ticked me off.  It was as if they wrote Splinter up as not being one to understand Mikey.  Really the plot of Touch and Go at least Mikey was himself the full time, but in Graduation Day they had him get out of character, with putting video games over real life.  They made him more obsessive than he normally is.  So I was not thrilled with that episode at all.

I do love how in the newest issue of IDW they show that a Splinter finally understands Michelangelo...   I can totally respect this Splinter so much more right now.  Because even Mirage had an issue where Mike was not understood by Splinter.

It's not always easy to understand people with ADHD and live their lives to the fullest no matter the dangers around them.  But if you look into his character more with the 4Kids series, you can see many strong key points where Mike was the one that came up with the plan to save the day.  Did the distraction they needed.  Put his life on the line.  Understood his brothers, when the others were getting angry.  There's way more to Mike than the clown he's normally written up to be.  And the 4Kids series usually caught that in their writing.

Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »

I can't agree that there wasn't Character growth, because for the first five seasons there was.  Yes Mikey was still his goofy self but he did learn.  A great example is in "The Ancient One" where Leonardo is so angry, with Don and Raph complaining about it.  Michelangelo stands up for Leonardo.  Really where we lost the growth was in "Fast Forward" and during that time we lost ALL of the growth in the different Turtles.

I adored Mikey's speech about Leo in "The Ancient One", because it was one of those moments where he was showing how well he knew not only Leo, but each of his brothers! I would argue, however, that there was one single episode of Fast Forward that had some interesting character development ... though it goes to Leo. S06Ep23: "DNA is Thicker than Water" is my sole favorite from the FF Season, simply because we get to see Leo interact with Dark Leo much more than usual, and it's in a way that I personally think mirrors Leo's revelation at the Ancient One's temple when he found he was harming himself in his brooding; so he tried to change Dark Leo's perspective by talking to him. Showing kindness, in a way, to himself once more instead of beating on him. I really wish they'd tried doing episodes like that with at least Mikey and Dark Mikey; you know that a more in-character Mikey would have likely jumped at the chance.

I could never see Mikey in that show as the way you described him though. He is not selfish or self-absorbed.  He's playful and ADHD, he doesn't like thinking about the serious stuff going on in their lives because it's just too much and to bad.  He's known for being one of the most caring brothers.  Yes, he loves his world of comics and humor, but he will lay his life down for his brothers.

And it's episodes like "The Christmas Aliens" that really show us Mikey that way - as he should be shown - I mean, he finds Klunk and gives the little kitty a new home, saves the truck full of toys for orphans, and even stands up for himself when Splinter mentions that he's late for dinner (after properly apologizing, of course): "It's a time to think of those less fortunate than ourselves. In fact, it's a time not to think of ourselves at all."

I do love how in the newest issue of IDW they show that a Splinter finally understands Michelangelo...   I can totally respect this Splinter so much more right now.  Because even Mirage had an issue where Mike was not understood by Splinter.

I couldn't agree more! *nods emphatically* I just got the new issue today and I've reread those two pages so many times! Splinter basically describes Mikey exactly the way I've felt that he is, and to see it in print ... it's the second issue (#5 being the first) that's made me cry!  Crying/Very Sad I very much adore IDW Splinter now even more-so that he tied Leo into his Mikey speech. This Splinter is truly getting the opportunity to show what he knows about his sons - and he obviously knows a lot.  Love And I really, really wanna give Mikey and Leo big hugs now ... they both look like they need them.

Two favorite slices of Splinter's speech (which needs to be shouted from the mountaintops, really): "His empathy for others is a virtue, not a flaw" and "In a world as jaded and cynical as this one, Michelangelo's unbridled optimism is to be celebrated, not discouraged." [IDW TMNT issue #16, pg 19 and 20 respectively.]

At his core, Mikey has not/ does not/ shall never annoy me - Mikey humbles me. All the time.

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »

Kame, I can not agree with you more on that full post!  I've even mentioned many times that "DNA is Thicker than Water" is my favorite Fast Forward episode, including in the topic Favorite "Fast Forward" Villian when I mentioned that I loved the character growth in Dark Leo.  That is a great episode in Fast Forward.

You got some great feedback on characters, I would love to see some reviews from you on episodes that aired before, we have review topics for all of the 4Kids episodes.  Feel free to join in on any of those topics and let us know which ones are your favorites Happy/Smile

I really do think we're in for some great story lines with the IDW Michelangelo character, I can not wait to see his growth as I know Tom is putting a lot of thought into each of the Turtles.  I hold a ton of respect for him.

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 03:57:22 PM »

Added 2012 for Nickelodeon TMNT into this poll. 

Very odd but the poll does not seem to like the word Nick at all... I tried Nickelodeon, Nick TMNT and NickTurtles and it would not save any of those :p   At least 2012 worked.

LH
Foot Tech Ninja

Giant Mutant Sewer Alligator

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »

Hmm.. I selected the Nick Mikey, but what little I have seen of the 4kids Mikey has been good too. Very tough question!  LOL
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »

Yeah, right now I'm staying with the 4Kids Mikey, until I see if Mikey in Nick grows into a better member in the team.  I don't like how much he gets his family into trouble in the Nickelodeon series.

Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »

Speaking of Nick!Mikey ... I haven't liked how they lazily (and so obviously) tend to use him as the blatant excuse for exposition in numerous episodes. Especially when he's been through an arc where we go all "okay, so now we can move past that stuff entirely, right" and then the show has a spot where it feels like square one all over again.

I don't mind Greg (who does his voice) but I don't like the thought that they're just making Mikey stupid for lazy convenience. It makes me think that people with ADHD are NOT like how he is ... it just all smacks of lazy story-telling. :/

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2015, 02:17:34 AM »

I agree Kame, not a fan with how he's used a lot for dumb stuff in the Nickelodeon show.   I do like him in Dimension X, but I was hoping he'd grow a bit more by now, about setting alarms off and all.

I wanted to let everyone know I updated the poll list.  Once again people can change their vote if they choose too.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.

BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled