TMNT-L Forums
May 24, 2018, 03:56:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which version of Donatello?
Mirage/Image
Original Toon
Archie
Movies
Next Mutation
4Kids
Other
IDW
Nickelodeon
TMNT 2014 Movies

Pages: 1 2 3 Next [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Donatello  (Read 10309 times)
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Never pay full price for a late pizza

iveyangelo IveyAngelo IveyAngelo
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »

Hey everyone,

Wow can't believe this topic hasn't been started yet.  I know there's a lot of Donny fans out there, he's one of my favorites.  So might as well get it started...

So here it is the differen't types...

Different versions

Mirage/Image: This version of Donatello is a quiet one, he does a lot of tinkering around with stuff, writes, and loves to spend time in the woods.  He's not a huge inventor like in the other areas.  He spends more time to himself though.

Original Toon: This version of Donatello spends a lot of time inventing.  He doesn't like being over looked, he wants attention but at the same time he doesn't know how to go about it the right way.  He comes off sometimes as an over archiver as his brothers get annoyed with him for either working to hard on an invention or studying just to much.  He gets mad thinking no one understands him, and feels a lone a lot.  Though his inventions blow up in his face, turn against him, or get stolen often.

Archie: This Donatello is another inventor, though with them out on trips so much he doesn't get to stay home and work on his inventions much.  He did put a hot tub in the lair for his brothers and him.  He's also done his own bit of time travel, if just in his mind.  He speaks up more when he's needed than just to talk.  The Future version of him wears a long coat and has invented much that the Turtles rely on, including their cybor suites.

Movies: In the movies Donatello is still a smart turtle that knows computers, though he's also a bit more light hearted.  He spends more time with Michaelangelo, and tries to stay out of the troubles in the lair.  If Raph and Leo are blowing off the steam, Donatello is sitting off to the side with Mike.  Though Don is still looking for someone to be able to talk about serious stuff with, as is shown in the first movie when he tries to talk to Michaelangelo about Splinter not being there, but Mike wasn't into that deep of thinking.  Don skateboards, play games and even brings the marsh mellows to the important camp fire... in the third movie he said to many jokes.

Next Mutation: Don is more into tech than magic, though sometimes does try to combine the two with Venus.  He though is looking for someone to understand him, and in this version of TMNT he thinks he knows who, Dr. Quease.  He wants to be able to trust Dr. Quease but Quease works for the bad guys.  He spends a lot of time doing tech and study in this series as well, though once again his tech while does help at times also causes trouble like when the truth/lie machine got Mike to believe Wick went good, and when Sliver was able to use Don's computer to get him under control.  Though things like the Eye in the Sky came in very handy for them in this series.  It's a great way to watch Donatello.

4Kids: This Donatello is a good mixture of the Mirage Don, Movie Don and original series Donatello.  He likes to invent and when he gets really deep into it, he wants to be left alone.  He seems to get along well with each of his brothers, even joins in with Raph on picking on Michelangelo.  Don has gone through some hard times, though from the looks of it he keeps a lot of it to himself like with Kirby or the dark future he went to.  He's also showed more interest in crushes with this series, but still too shy to make a move.  

Other: Is your favorite area with Don something like the Tour? Or "We Wish You a Turtle Christmas" or do you like some Fanfic or RP version of Don out there... what about a web comic version? If you choose other, please post and not just tell us about why you like Don in that version... but tell us about the Don of that version maybe even post a link!

Nickelodeon:  Gap tooth, LOVES April O'Neil, very inventive and is the tallest of his brothers.  He gets a lot of pressure put on him with all the science stuff going on in this series.  Truly a Donatello who gets attention more than he normally gets in the series.

IDW: A curious Donatello, wants to understand how they are who they are.  Strong will and is willing to go against Splinter's wishes if he sees something needs to be done.  Was almost killed by Bebop and Rocksteady, and got to spend some time inside of Metalhead.

TMNT 2014: Can't say much about this Donatello... he's really more done up as a nerd even with the snort... glasses, the shape of his face, the way he stands while talking to April.   He loves Italian food.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:47:35 PM by Michaelangelo » Logged

Sage Ninja
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

I liked Old toon Don since he was at his most authoritive and assertive in that medium and was a great fighter (second to Leonardo in this version) as well as being naturally funny and laid back, but oh, boy also had a temper and some thing of a scarey side as well. He was alos at his most militant in this medium and some I like that since most versions try to play him up as a pacifist.

The live action movie Donatello's didn't do anything for me, nor did his portrayal in the Next Mutation.

In Mirage...I haven't read much of Mirage but from what I've seen Donatello is a double edged sword and possiable the most deadly and stoic of all the Donatello's and seems to be a very cooly collected and deeply intellectual guy who is very kind and straigh foward, but can very calmly and coldly do what he has to.

Donatello in the New toon is a very relaxed and sweet and adorable version of him that is for the most part soft spoken and nonconfrontational (but can get pretty annoyed and crabby when disturbed) and is openly chivirlous toward girls and isn't depicted as being particularly skilled in fighting (though he does just fine in battle ) I like his cute little mannerisms and his sweet compassionate side that even OT Donatello didn't exibit. I really enjoy the potrayal of Sam Regal and the high geeky voice he provides for NT Donatello. He also seems to be more of a loner than OT Donatello which I guess is more accurate to his comic book roots. What i find unique about NT Donatello is his inclination to development crushes or close relationships with girls. He seems to be a slight ladies man with out even trying to in the NT, which is sort of a first (as far as I know) for Donatello's character since he seems to be the one turtle tradionally that doesn't get into romantic entanglements, and is more pragmatic minded. But NT version of Don seems to have humanised him by throwing that into his character. Although I must say that this isn't my favorite version of Donatello. I prefere Donatello to be sophisticated and compassionate but also slick and sharp tongued and assertive. Not that NT Don isn't these things, it's just I find him a bit too mild mannered and passive for my liking. And during the times he is "assertive" he it doesn't pull it off very well to me and he comes across kind of snotty and condsending. But I still like him.  Very Happy/Big Grin

But I have to say that CGI Donatello is my favorite Donatello to date. He just seemed so much more interesting more forceful than other Dons. I liked how he was sarcastic and sharp tongued. He was a smartass but so over the top that he came off as abrasive or snippy, he was cultured and smart and he knew it and his way of putting others in their place was sophisticated about rather than petty. He also wasn't the easy to talk to sweet heart that NT Don is portrayed as being, and wasn't so blithe with others who are less gifted in the intelligence area eighther. I liked how he was more authrotive and a bit snappier instead of gentle and soft.

I also liked how he came off as impatient... like he is so bored or something. I also liked his some what smart-shell like personality. He wasn't so soft spoken that he didn't voice his thoughts and I completely ate up his little banter with Raphael. His whole demeaner was just lofty superiority and disapproval when he was talking to Raphael. My favorite Don Lines:

Well I know your temper and rogue attitude has always been a source of contention to this team"

Uh, ok Leo. No one was talking about him (Raph)

Outta my way, Please

heh, even when he is being forceful he is polite. Thats an awsome Donatello.

Also, I liked how this Donatello didn't get along so well with Raph. In the series Don and Raph seem to have a pretty easy-going relationship and even seem to be a bit of a tag team with each other. And even though that is nice and interesting (if explored more) I rather liked the friction and and banter that was present between the two in the movie, since I think some one of Don personality would naturally butt heads with some one of Raph personality.

Brinatello
Bebop

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:02:52 AM »

Oh, gads, it's a huge toss up between Archie and Movies!  Oh, I can't decide on it!  I really loved how Don was placed in difficult yet interesting situations of Archie, um, won't say any here to avoid spoilers, but he really became popular out of the four as far as what they faced in their adventures.  And then there's his future self looking so hot with the purple lab coat...*melts*  Movie Don I adored the most in the second film mainly do to his voice, Adam Carl.  That made me a true lover of the turtle in more ways than one.  And live-action, dang it, I wanted to jump up into the screen and just glomp him!   Love

*headdesk*  This may take a while to decide...   Angel

Posing in our costumes for the San Diego Comic Con Masquerade, July 22, 2006.   Very Happy/Big Grin
Jelly bean
Foot Soldier

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:22:32 PM »

I was really impressed with Don in the New movie. I like Don well enough in the 4KIDS cartoon but sometimes he comes off a bit too perfect. The guy has like no personal flaws like the other guys do. Leo is a perfectionist, Raph has a bad temper, Mikey is immature and cocky, and Don os...too nice and smart? 

Nethious
Foot Soldier

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:23:17 AM »

I think all the Donatellos are great! The Next mutation Donny would have been my favorite but I didn't like the 3 foot chrome bo staff they gave him. The movie one would be my favorite because he's more mellowed out like Michelangelo while being smart LOL

Mindy
TMNT-L Reviewer
Krang

Author

Google Talk
mindymousie mindymousie
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »

4kids Don for me - I like how sweet, caring, and a little sarcastic that he is. There's always a sense of comfort when he's in the group, like he's holding it together. =)

Shredneck
Foot Soldier

The Shred Dude!

demoniaque
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »

Donny from the first movie specifically, granted Mr. Feldman came back and did his voice in the third movie, but none of the Turtles were quite like they were in the first film, I also dig the original Mirage Donatello as well.  The original Toon Donatello was cool, but I just always use to picture the Nesquik bunny when I wasn't looking at the screen.

"Oh, so that's the plan from our great leader huh?  Just sit here on our butts!"
Mindy
TMNT-L Reviewer
Krang

Author

Google Talk
mindymousie mindymousie
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

The original Toon Donatello was cool, but I just always use to picture the Nesquik bunny when I wasn't looking at the screen.

Hahaha! Yes, very similar voice Barry used.  Rolling Eyes

MistyJazlynn
Hun

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:24:25 AM »

EEK! That's a hard topic to answer! HAHA! Well..................er........................ *sweat drops* well...... the Donnie from the first TMNT movie seemed cute to me. And shy. Didn't really talk much. old school cartoonie Donnie was cute to. I'd think that a girl would snuggle up to him when he had that Dark Turtle suit on. *meow* For plushies................. I ALWAYS sleep with my Donatello plushies. When I kept gettin sick from migraines, I'd hold my Don plushie close to me. When I go to a Capitals' hockey game, I'd secrety take my Don plushie with me. On the youtube videos of TMNT, I'd post very cutesy comments about Donnie. tee hee When I play "World Of Warcraft" ( RPG/Fantasy pc game), I'd put my Don plushie on my lap so he can watch me play. *SIGH!* ok ok..... I admit on THIS ONE! When Don was stricken with that mutation bit, I stayed in my bedroom and dared NOT to watch what happened to him. I don't mean to neglect. When I used to write fanfictions on paper, I'd let Penny have a crush on Don. I have to admit on THIS one to. When I would watch a Capitals away game on TV (u all may laugh at this), I'd take my Capitals' fan scarf and put it around my big Donatello doll then wrap him in a Capitals' fan fleece blanket (i'll have to take pictures of that some time). Don just looks SO kissable and snuggable. I LOVE his soft-spoken voice. Some times when I'm stressed out (or mad at a Capitals' losing game { NOT TRYIN TO JINX THEM}, ) I just snuggle up to my big Donatello doll. When Pokeballgirl and I rp over AIM, I rp don (i'm not to good at it. heh). Above all... he's just down right handsome and smart. He does get a little moody when someone interrupts him. I'm like that to. I know this may seem silly, but if I'm upset about somethin and i dunno who to turn to (if my mom's at work), i'll just talk to my Don plushie. Now don't get me wrong. Don's just a cutie pie. *thinks*.... ( i feel like i'm typing an essay ) Don in the 2nd movie.................... CUTE. Shoot.... I love'em all. Rarely when I play my other fantasy pc rpg game GUILD WARS { again } I'd let my plushie Don sit on my lap. Okay, I'm runnin out of things to type. *graps her old school Donatello plushie*

Misty
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:30:55 AM by MistyJazlynn » Logged

(,,,) =^,-,^= (,,,)Cassidy & Butch forever

sockysocks
Foot Soldier

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »

I'm gunna have to go with the original. Donatello has always been one of my favorite characters and in the original comics he was just so much more relatable. He felt smart but to a reasonable degree. There seemed to be an element of "unhinged genius" in him while remaining a quiet backbone for the group.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sage Ninja about the New Movie Don. I love him to bits and I'm so sad they didn't include more of him in the movie. Maybe in a sequel? Here's hoping.
MistyJazlynn
Hun

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:28:21 AM »

No he's mine to snuggle with. If the Turtles were real, I'd spoil Don to bits and let him watch Capitals ice hockey games with me. He wouldn't be likin the New York Islanders or New York Rangers now. *sniggles*  LOL *throws a Capitals fan scarf around my big donatello doll* XD

Misty

sockysocks
Foot Soldier

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:38:30 AM »

Uh... ok.

I mean, you can have him 'nall...
AristaNiara
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »

So far, I have to say the 4Kids Donatello.  He seems more developed than most of the other Dons that I've been.  I enjoy his intelligent side as much as I enjoy his ability to be laid back.  He also doesn't have the ego that he had in the Original Cartoon and NT:TNM that made me want to slap him at times but he's not all fun like the original three movies seemed to portray. 
MistyJazlynn
Hun

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:12:44 PM »

Wait wait wait. Can I have a say in this before I get the hiccups from laughing? I'd make sure that he would be a Washington Capitals' fan. *looks innocent before getting tickled*

Misty

NinjaNette
Foot Soldier

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:58:38 AM »

Hmm... I'm not sure which Don I would choose. I like him from the 4kids show, but also from the CGI 2007 movie. Other then that.. I wouldn't really know. Wow, what a hard topic. Mad

Secret Someone That Shall Remain A Secret
MistyJazlynn
Hun

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »

I'd still spoil him by makin him a Capitals' fan instead of a New York Rangers' fan. tee hee

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »

Heh not an easy topic, though that's what makes it interesting to discuss Wink

MistyJazlynn
Hun

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »

*sniggles* Okay okay, tickle me for that one *hides*

Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »

Updated another character poll... this time Donatello.

I'm keeping my answer right now...

Though IDW and Nickelodeon both have amazing Donatello's, I want to see more of both of them.

MistyJazzlyn
Foot Soldier

Cassidy and Butch will ALWAYS be a couple forever!

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »

I'm not gonna argue on this topic Happy/Smile

Misty

Team Turtle Squad WILL ALWAYS WIN over villians!!!! Love. I'm NOT lying about the "PIKA" sign
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »

Thanks, cause there's no reason to argue, people have their own thoughts on things. Happy/Smile 

Keep things happy here on TMNT-L Wink

Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »

I had to click on 'other' with this one, mainly because I was having another mental tie between versions and really couldn't have picked one if you held a Super Soaker to my head. (It happens!)

My Don-collection: Original Don; Mirage Don; 4Kids Don ... though the Nick and IDW Donatellos ... Donatelli *face-palm* are fast joining the mix.

*Original Don was the first one I ever 'met' - I love how he'll come up with the most bizarre contraptions to do what seems like such a simple thing ... like the machine in the opening credits that (I assume) is supposed to make a hot drink of some sort. I also love how his voice is just Barry talking!  Very Happy/Big Grin I love the part, on Rob's Podcast with the other guys, where he said that "people will ask me to 'do Donatello' ... How!?" Right now I just wish that iTunes had his version of "I'm Gettin' Nothin' for Christmas" up, because I want it.

*Mirage Don I didn't really get introduced to until I'd been reading the Archie comics and realized there was another comic book series out there. *I know, face-palm once again* This Don I could sympathize with, on the pacifist thing; like Mikey he'd rather do good than bad with his talents and I always took the not-liking-guns thing to be an expression of the fact that he'd want to deal with mechanisms that make a person's life better, rather than potentially cause them pain or even death.

*4Kids Don totally seems like a wonderful mix between the Mirage and Original Donatello personalities, where he keeps important things sorta tucked into his heart and the audience is often the only one to really see both what happened to him and the fact that he's letting it sink in - such as the adventure with Kirby, or meeting Jhanna and having her leave her cut-off hair behind with him. I do wish that they had used Don to explore the gates to the Battle Nexus more, though, as I've rewatched the episodes where you see Splinter and Usagi do their individual markings and there are differences! Differences I'd like to know more about, myself, and which I would have figured little Mr. Tinker would have gone head over heels to explore.

As for the other two, not gonna lie that Nick Don has been wonderful because I love Rob's voice for him, and the way he gets to show just how excited he is to make things. I also feel so bad for him when he face-palmed in episode 2 and had forgotten that he had the shuko spikes on his hand. *ouch* And IDW's Don is interesting because of the fact that he seems to crave having physical proof for things, as if his brain goes 'if I can't see it, touch it, smell it, count it, then it needs more proof before I'll believe it'. I enjoyed him being the navigator/ info-Turtle in the Infestation 2 comics, for example.

So yeah, not going to choose - and even the other Donatellos have great moments (for which I love them as well) but these are the main ones who make it hard to pick.

I'm a Raphael girl at heart, but Mikey has taught me more about myself than all his brothers combined; I feel blessed to meet others who've been just as touched by these brothers as I have. Embarassed  (And speaking of enjoying them, feel free to join me on TMNT - The Beginning ( http://tmntthebeginning.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showforum=3 )! I'm privileged to be Splinter, April AND now (temporary) Raphael over there!)
BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »

I really liked 4Kids Don a lot because he was just so sweet, but Nick Don is up there now. I love him and how his personality is both intelligent and snarky, not to mention that Rob does a fantastic job in doing the voice. Many think that it's just the same Raph voice, but I've noticed a few subtle differences in certain episodes that make Don sound a bit different. So, I'm going with Nick Don here. He rocks.

"A warrior who never fails, never learns." --The Ancient One.
Kamehane
Foot Tech Ninja

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »

Many think that it's just the same Raph voice, but I've noticed a few subtle differences in certain episodes that make Don sound a bit different. So, I'm going with Nick Don here. He rocks.

O_o Nick Don doesn't sound real close to Old School Raph to me ... personally, Nick Don sounds like Rob's voice for Disney Fairies' Bumble - BUT without the thick accent. I ... maybe they think it's the 'same' because it's the same voice actor, but still ... *sigh*

Good choice, BubblyShell!

I'm a Raphael girl at heart, but Mikey has taught me more about myself than all his brothers combined; I feel blessed to meet others who've been just as touched by these brothers as I have. Embarassed  (And speaking of enjoying them, feel free to join me on TMNT - The Beginning ( http://tmntthebeginning.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showforum=3 )! I'm privileged to be Splinter, April AND now (temporary) Raphael over there!)
Harrycanyon
Foot Soldier

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

Any is fine but the animated old Don was a genius and i also like Mirage's version and 2003 version
ResidentEvil7
Warned
Bishop

I fight for truth, justice, honor, and leadership

Ninja Turtles 25 Years
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »

There was already a topic for favorite version of Michelangelo and I think it's only fair to include ALL 4 turtles.  So in this case, which version of Donatello do you like?

I liked the 87 Donatello.  When I found out that he died early in the Image series, I was disappointed.  I was like "why?"  Why kill any of them?

Raphael
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Mess with the best, get bapped like the rest!

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »

I'd probably go with the 2K3 version of Don too.  I like the Nick one, and I'm enjoying hearing Rob Paulsen voicing him, but the April-Don-Casey aspect of the Nick series is kinda 'meh' to me. Some days it's entertaining, other days I'm tired of it.

Edit: Merging this topic with the older topic, too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:00:32 AM by Raphael » Logged

Raph, King of the Sewers!  "> (Clever contractual obligation thingy)

There is nothing a good bapping won't cure!

"                   
goodpizza
Foot Soldier

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 03:19:26 AM »

My only exposure of Donatello (and TMNT in general) were the movies and the 87 cartoon.

Specifically, I like the Secret of the Ooze version/voice. It sounded exactly like the "smart nerd" voice I always envisioned.

I should really get into the comics but they are hard to get in France (which is where I live right now).
Donatello
TMNT-L Mod Squad
Rocksteady

Sharon D Lee
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »

Oh... how'D I miss this thread before? 

Everyone knows I'm the best version (which is like 'all of the above'!)  :p

Seriously though, I think early TMNT b/w comic (like the ones drawn by Jim Lawson) Donny was my first fav, with the first animatronic movie one a close second. Then the 4 Kids was next.  I have not consistently seen much of the newest Don, but from what I heard, he sounds cool too.

Have you hugged a robot today? Love
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 11:48:18 PM »

Updated and added the TMNT 2014 Movie line to the poll.   

- People can change their vote if they choose too.

Donatello
TMNT-L Mod Squad
Rocksteady

Sharon D Lee
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »

Oh, ho... yeah. It does intrigue me that in Bay's movie, Donnie is seen wearing glasses all the time, which is a first. Although... it seems like his personality is similar.

But I think it's kind of cool Donnie has glasses, since I also wear glasses. (Even if it is to suggest that nerds wear glasses...)   Embarassed

Have you hugged a robot today? Love
Pages: 1 2 3 Next [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.

BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled