TMNT-L Forums
August 19, 2017, 11:07:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Michelangelo is the WORST Ninja Turtle!  (Read 292 times)
Falkor
Foot Soldier

stop looking for the magic. you are it.

« on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

Michelangelo is the worst turtle.

I said it and there it is.  Now why in the world would I say that?  Because I think he is the most obnoxious stereotype in the whole franchise.  Even compared to Donatello and Baxter as "brains" or Shredder as the "evil villain" they took it to new heights with Mike.  Mike is so obsessed with pizza.  How is that really that beneficial to the group?  Coming up with different recipes for ridiculous pizza creations while his brothers actually train.  Yes Michelangelo wants to be a human being but that doesn't help either!  Nobody is ever going to accept the turtles.  They are mutants and don't belong in the civilized society.

So why is Mike so many people's favorite turtle?   He's the valley boy of the group and the airhead that does nothing but pull jokes and tricks on others.  In the second movie the weapons were removed due to the violence in TMNT 1990.  I think that was a good thing because it took away the nunchuks from mike.  The legendary weapon popularized by Bruce Lee.  Now I know some people who have worked on Turtles have done things with the Bruce Lee Foundation.  That's great but why was Mike chosen to be given the nunchuks if he is NOTHING like Bruce Lee?

Is that part of the joke?  See I have the sneaking suspicion that Mike really was to be the clown of the whole thing because when the Turtles were conceived they ALL were made as a gag.  And why is there so much favorites played for Mike... like when he was in the LEGO Movie?  Will he be in the next LEGO Movie?  Nope now there's no chance for ALL four Turtles to be in it because now the Turtles are MEGABLOKS characters.  SO will there be a Megabloks movie and can it have more than just Mike with no lines?

So Mike can Skateboard and he can perform birthday parties.  Did you see how mean he was in TMNT 2007?  I couldn't believe he HATED kids the way he does since he's most kids favorite.  He speaks in all the surfer 90s talk that was hip at the time but is hopelessly antiquated.  Now he takes cues from hip hop pop culture more!  Doing break dances in the middle of a fight?  Only Mike!

Now back to how violent the movies were.  Power Rangers got in big trouble for this too that it was showing young people that violence is the answer.  Now some people got into real martial arts such as Karate, Tae Kwon Do because they saw the Turtles use it just as they saw the Karate Kid use it in his fights.  See the Ninja Turtles are so highly thought of that kids want to BE the Ninja Turtles.  You have to acknowledge maybe the TMNT are too violent to be on TV.  They did an Anti-Drug special once and that is what the Turtles should be doing is fighting drug dealers.  I do flinch when I think of the case where a boy wanted to be Superman in the 50s and jumped out his high rise apartment!  It DOES happen!

So is Mike a good role model.  He COULD be if the nature of the Turtles were changed around and went after more realistic bad guys.  The way things are portrayed it's believable to little kids but nobody else.  They need to take on the real bad guys out in the world.  I think Mike isn't a particularly special character considering he stole his line Cowabunga from Hawaiian speak.  Hello!  He's from New York!  I don't think has been a good version of Mike YET but maybe for the future Mike can grow up and become more interesting than his brother.  Until then he's just the Malibu of American Gladiators!

Falkor, The Luck Dragon
Michaelangelo
Battle Nexus Champion
TMNT-L Mod Squad+
Leonardo

Never pay full price for a late pizza

iveyangelo IveyAngelo IveyAngelo
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:42:11 AM »

Sorry you don't see the good points of Michelangelo...

Mike is creative and sees things different from his brothers, in some areas, esp the 4Kids series, Mike came up with a lot of the plans that got his brothers out of bad spots.  Even if he did remain the comic relief a lot, he was useful to the team from his out of the box thinking.

Each of the Turtles have a different role.   Not everyone is going to like or understand each of the character types.  But if you live around it, have that personality type or know someone with it.  You can relate and it brings different people into the characters.

Don't think Mike has ever grown up?  Watch "Same as it Never Was" in the 4Kids TMNT series.  Same series I'll bring up the episode "Grudge Match" where Mike has to fight for the title, and isn't serious till he realizes his family needs him to be.  Then he kicks into real action.  Don't think Mike realizes his actions are childish, watch Season 4 of the 4Kids series where he points out that Leonardo takes on all the stress so that the other three can be who they are.

My favorite versions of Mike go to the 1990-1993 movies and the 4Kids TMNT.  I also really enjoy him in the original cartoon series as that's when I became a fan.  I'm not a big fan of how he's portrayed in the Next Mutation or the Nickelodeon series... as I think they take away some of his character traits that made me like him in the other series.  I also have always enjoyed Mike in the Mirage, Image, Archie and IDW Comics. 

For me there is no Worse TMNT character of the four Turtles.  Worse TMNT characters ever created in my eyes are Carter and Dregg, but that's another story.

BubblyShell22
Fugitoid

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »

I definitely disagree that Mikey is not the worst Turtle. None of the Turtles are the worst Turtle as they all have different traits that make them unique. Yes, Mikey is seen as the comic relief of the group because he's the light of the team. He keeps everyone smiling even in the darkest of times and he can be serious if he has to be. Not only drawing on the examples Mike (the member) gave, there are instances in the Nickelodeon series where he really does shine. He helped defend against the parasitic wasps, he helped create the retro-mutagen (even if he couldn't remember how he did it), and he even helped to defeat Kavaxas by putting together the amulet that controlled him. I'm sure there are more examples, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, not only is Mikey creative, he is also very compassionate such as when he rescued Klunk in the 4Kids series and helped bring the toys back to the kids. He also saw the good in Leatherhead in the Nickelodeon series and was even willing to give Slash a chance. The fact that Mikey wants to be human isn't a bad thing either as he longs to be part of the world he is denied. Haven't we all wished at some point that we could be something that we aren't good at and have no chance of being? I always wished I was more athletic and at one time I even had the wish that I could see out of both eyes like other people. You may not see these qualities because you're focusing on some of the flaws he has. Yes, he has flaws, but all of the Turtles do and that's fine because we all have flaws in our lives and aren't perfect.

That's my two cents on the subject.

"A warrior who never fails, never learns." --The Ancient One.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Foot Soldier

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

No turtle is the worst, we just have different favourites.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Permissions
You can't post new topics.
You can't post replies.
You can't post attachments.
You can't modify your posts.

BBCode Enabled
Smilies Enabled
[img] Enabled
HTML Disabled